Thank you Visit Carson City & Travel Nevada for hosting me on this trip.
Nevada’s best kept secret has to be Carson City. Located just a little bit south of Reno and east of Lake Tahoe, Carson City has so many gems to explore. Despite having a smaller town vibe, it is the state capitol and has a lot of history. It’s the perfect day trip from Reno or Tahoe, especially if you like the outdoors.
Watch the travel vlog below to see everything I recommend doing on trip to Carson City.
What To Do in Carson City
- Carson City Hot Springs: is there anything better than soaking in a mineral-rich hot spring bath? I think not! This spot has both private soak rooms and an outdoor pool. I had no idea there was hot spring water in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I can’t wait to come back for a little self care after snowboarding this winter.
- Hiking at Kings Canyon Waterfall Trail: this is a quick hike with both amazing valley views and an epic waterfall. Sometimes hikes leading to waterfalls can be anti-climactic, but this one was full on gushing this July. Once you get to the top of the trail and waterfall there’s plenty of shade to enjoy, too.
- Nevada State Capitol: this building, and all the state government buildings, are centrally located and walkable in town. This building is as gorgeous on the outside as it is on the inside.
Where To Eat & Drink in Carson City
- The Union: this will be my first stop for eating next time I’m in town. Kale salad, pizza, and beer because balance, right? Outdoor seating is really nice in the summer, too.
- Sassafrass Eclectic Food Joint: this spot is right next to the hot springs on the other side of town. They have a huge menu, bar, and and even live music.
- OW Coffee Lab: I love a local coffee shop with a twist. And when I say this is hipster coffee, it’s totally a good thing! This coffeeshop has both outdoor and indoor seating.
- So Juicy Juice Bar: for your fruit and veggie fix, this spot has it all. They have juices, smoothies, acai bowls, and salads. My immune system needs a little boost while traveling, so cold pressed juices and shots are my secret weapon.
Follow Visit Carson City on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for even more trip ideas. Like this travel guide? Pin it and share the love. Be sure to check out some of other Nevada or United States content before you go. Happy travels!
We’ve been to Lake Tahoe several times but didn’t know about Carson City. It looks like a great add-on trip.
It’s such a cute little city, the historic buildings are stunning!
I love cities with a small town vibe and there seems so much to do in Carson City despite it being overshadowed by it’s more well known neighbors. The hot springs especially sounds alluring.
Oh wow! That place looks amazing. I’m dying to try that pizza hahaha
That pizza is first on my list when I come back, for sure!
Looks like a great place to visit!
It’s the perfect mini day trip from Tahoe or Reno!
I live in Nevada and have never been to Carson City! I’ll have to correct that soon.