The International Trip Checklist

Have A Nice Trip - Hello Kitty at Taipei Airport - international trip checklist

It seems like there are a million and one things to remember before taking off on a major trip, and there totally are. I’ve taken several trips abroad over the past year and I’ve got my logistics routine down so that all I have to worry about is the outfits to pack for the trip. Here are all the things I remember to tick off my list before traveling internationally that might help you in preparing for your next trip. All the to-dos besides an actual packing checklist, that is!

• Put travel notice on any credit & debit cards I plan to use internationally
  • Familiarize yourself with the current exchange rate & download the XE app
  • Pick up foreign currency
  • Pay bills, rent, etc.

• Pack passport & a secondary form of ID
  • Print copies of hotel reservations and exit flight as border/customs agents may need this
  • Ensure luggage has luggage tag with current contact info
  • Check weather in destination to be aware of any last minute packing needs (raincoat, umbrella, etc)
  • Remove any potentially problematic items from hand luggage (pocket knives, liquids above 100ml, etc) and checked luggage (lithium ion batteries, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc)

• Charge all tech I plan to use in-flight
  • Pack mifi device in hand luggage
  • Back up iPhone, computer HD, & SD card data
  • Set out-of-office reply on email
  • Set Poshmark account to “vacation mode”
  • Download local map in Google Maps and/or local language in Google Translate for quick retrieval

• Inform family, trusted neighbors, colleagues, and/or closest friends I’ll be traveling and the duration of the trip
  • General quick tidy routine
  • Take out trash & recycling
  • Make bed (nothing better than coming home to clean sheets!)
  • Water plants
  • Put away all valuables
  • Unplug all power strips & appliances

Self Care

• Manicure & pedicure (usually at home, but sometimes will opt for the salon!)
  • Facial (at-home version)
  • Exfoliate
  • Self tan (St. Tropez is my fave)
  • Wash hair
  • Hydrate well & take vitamins leading up to trip

Anything I missed? I would love to hear from you on what is your best travel prep tip. Also let me know if you’d like to see my version of a packing checklist.

Hope you enjoyed this post, and happy travels!

1. Jade Hicks September 17, 2017 / 10:57 am

Thanks for this blog post its very useful, I’ve often thought of the mountain of things needed to do before you go on a major trip and it can be very overwhelming! Thanks for the info

2. Maria Magdalena LimeLeaves September 18, 2017 / 12:59 am

Hhmmm… so much to do before a trip. Sometimes it made me feel so stress, but after the trip, I’m so glad of myself.

3. Tiffany La Forge-Grau September 18, 2017 / 1:20 pm

This is a great list of things to do before a trip. I am planning to go away in November and don’t want to forget to take care of something before I leave.

4. Cassie Liz September 18, 2017 / 4:51 pm

This is a good and extensive list of things to think of when taking an international trip! We travel quite a bit internationally and a lot of these are on our list too!

5. Tammy September 19, 2017 / 5:39 am

I’m planning a trip for next year and these are great suggestions. Thanks so much and pinning for later.

6. Meryland Cuevas September 19, 2017 / 9:36 am

Great list, definitely we need to include some of that self care tips into our trips, we often forget!!

7. Rebecca Swenor September 20, 2017 / 8:04 pm

This is a great checklist for international travels. I have never traveled internationally but hopefully with in the next couple years I can do so. It is so important to make sure you have the currency for that country along with making sure your credit/debit card can make foreign purchases. Thanks for sharing the tips.

8. sarah fabol September 20, 2017 / 8:29 pm

These are great tips. I’d love to travel and visit places. But it is so difficult now with 3 kids.

9. Tiffany MrsTee Haywood September 21, 2017 / 5:43 pm

I am definitely saving this post! First off – Hello Kitty! Next you have some really great tips for traveling internationally which I have never done but hope to do sooner rather than later!

10. tinagleisner September 27, 2017 / 5:48 pm

Great idea to have a special checklist for overseas travel … as I used to live in Tokyo but it’s been a few years now & things like smart phones are new.