It seems like there are a million and one things to remember before taking off on a major trip, and there totally are. I’ve taken several trips abroad over the past year and I’ve got my logistics routine down so that all I have to worry about is the outfits to pack for the trip. Here are all the things I remember to tick off my list before traveling internationally that might help you in preparing for your next trip. All the to-dos besides an actual packing checklist, that is!
- Put travel notice on any credit & debit cards I plan to use internationally
- Familiarize yourself with the current exchange rate & download the XE app
- Pick up foreign currency
- Pay bills, rent, etc.
- Pack passport & a secondary form of ID
- Print copies of hotel reservations and exit flight as border/customs agents may need this
- Ensure luggage has luggage tag with current contact info
- Check weather in destination to be aware of any last minute packing needs (raincoat, umbrella, etc)
- Remove any potentially problematic items from hand luggage (pocket knives, liquids above 100ml, etc) and checked luggage (lithium ion batteries, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc)
- Charge all tech I plan to use in-flight
- Pack mifi device in hand luggage
- Back up iPhone, computer HD, & SD card data
- Set out-of-office reply on email
- Set Poshmark account to “vacation mode”
- Download local map in Google Maps and/or local language in Google Translate for quick retrieval
- Inform family, trusted neighbors, colleagues, and/or closest friends I’ll be traveling and the duration of the trip
- General quick tidy routine
- Take out trash & recycling
- Make bed (nothing better than coming home to clean sheets!)
- Water plants
- Put away all valuables
- Unplug all power strips & appliances
- Manicure & pedicure (usually at home, but sometimes will opt for the salon!)
- Facial (at-home version)
- Self tan (St. Tropez is my fave)
- Wash hair
- Hydrate well & take vitamins leading up to trip
Anything I missed? I would love to hear from you on what is your best travel prep tip. Also let me know if you’d like to see my version of a packing checklist.
Hope you enjoyed this post, and happy travels!
Jade Hicks says
Thanks for this blog post its very useful, I’ve often thought of the mountain of things needed to do before you go on a major trip and it can be very overwhelming! Thanks for the info
Maria Magdalena LimeLeaves says
Hhmmm… so much to do before a trip. Sometimes it made me feel so stress, but after the trip, I’m so glad of myself.
Tiffany La Forge-Grau says
This is a great list of things to do before a trip. I am planning to go away in November and don’t want to forget to take care of something before I leave.
Cassie Liz says
This is a good and extensive list of things to think of when taking an international trip! We travel quite a bit internationally and a lot of these are on our list too!
I’m planning a trip for next year and these are great suggestions. Thanks so much and pinning for later.
Meryland Cuevas says
Great list, definitely we need to include some of that self care tips into our trips, we often forget!!
Rebecca Swenor says
This is a great checklist for international travels. I have never traveled internationally but hopefully with in the next couple years I can do so. It is so important to make sure you have the currency for that country along with making sure your credit/debit card can make foreign purchases. Thanks for sharing the tips.
sarah fabol says
These are great tips. I’d love to travel and visit places. But it is so difficult now with 3 kids.
Tiffany MrsTee Haywood says
I am definitely saving this post! First off – Hello Kitty! Next you have some really great tips for traveling internationally which I have never done but hope to do sooner rather than later!
Great idea to have a special checklist for overseas travel … as I used to live in Tokyo but it’s been a few years now & things like smart phones are new.