It seems like there are a million and one things to remember before taking off on a major trip, and there totally are. I’ve taken several trips abroad over the past year and I’ve got my logistics routine down so that all I have to worry about is the outfits to pack for the trip. Here are all the things I remember to tick off my list before traveling internationally that might help you in preparing for your next trip. All the to-dos besides an actual packing checklist, that is!
- Put travel notice on any credit & debit cards I plan to use internationally
- Familiarize yourself with the current exchange rate & download the XE app
- Pick up foreign currency
- Pay bills, rent, etc.
- Pack passport & a secondary form of ID
- Print copies of hotel reservations and exit flight as border/customs agents may need this
- Ensure luggage has luggage tag with current contact info
- Check weather in destination to be aware of any last minute packing needs (raincoat, umbrella, etc)
- Remove any potentially problematic items from hand luggage (pocket knives, liquids above 100ml, etc) and checked luggage (lithium ion batteries, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc)
- Charge all tech I plan to use in-flight
- Pack mifi device in hand luggage
- Back up iPhone, computer HD, & SD card data
- Set out-of-office reply on email
- Set Poshmark account to “vacation mode”
- Download local map in Google Maps and/or local language in Google Translate for quick retrieval
- Inform family, trusted neighbors, colleagues, and/or closest friends I’ll be traveling and the duration of the trip
- General quick tidy routine
- Take out trash & recycling
- Make bed (nothing better than coming home to clean sheets!)
- Water plants
- Put away all valuables
- Unplug all power strips & appliances
- Manicure & pedicure (usually at home, but sometimes will opt for the salon!)
- Facial (at-home version)
- Self tan (St. Tropez is my fave)
- Wash hair
- Hydrate well & take vitamins leading up to trip
Anything I missed? I would love to hear from you on what is your best travel prep tip. Also let me know if you’d like to see my version of a packing checklist.
Hope you enjoyed this post, and happy travels!