True life: I have tangly hair. It’s fine in texture, but thick in overall strand density. It’s prone to snarls, tangles, and it’s been that way since I was little. My knots have snapped hair brushes apart. Many tears have shed over the years of untangling my hair, but detangler is always to the rescue. I wanted to share a comprehensive list of the very best hair detanglers I’ve tried. Hopefully they can help you find relief from painful brushing. These are all light weight texture detanglers that won’t weigh down fine hair.
Best Detanglers for Fine Hair
- It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-In Treatment: this is the OG leave-in spray that does 10 things including detangling with ease. Comes in a travel size, too.
- It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-In Treatment Plus Keratin: like the original, with a little extra protein for hair that needs that extra nourishment.
- Ion Wellness Replenishing Leave-In: affordable option at under $9 and smells like sweet honey and cotton candy. It’s also naturally derived!
- Moroccanoil All in One Leave-In Conditioner: my current go-to detangler which has weightless formula that detangles with ease. Plus it smells incredible like all Moroccanoil products.
- Redken One United: this product does 25 things, but detangling is what’s most important! The perfect option if you need an all-in-one kind of leave-in.
- Redken Extreme Anti Snap: 5-in-1 product to help minimize damage and breakage, but it’s also really detangling.
- Aquis Water Defense PreWash: unlike the other detanglers in this list, this is a prewash treatment that will help detangle you hair before you shower.
Don’t forget to be always gentle with your hair! Use one of these detanglers coupled with a Wet Brush. Start brushing from the ends slowly up. This will reduce breakage and stress on the hair. Remember that your hair is most fragile when it’s wet, so you can actually cause more damage as you detangle if you’re not careful.
Aside from using detanglers, there are a few other ways to cut down on everyday tangles. One thing that always helps reduce tangles is getting regular trims. Currently I have a lob hairstyle and I try to trim it every 2 months or so to reduce split ends. Damaged ends are more prone to snarls. Also I try to cut back on using hot tools, only 3-4 days per week at most. Finally, I sleep with my hair down on a satin pillowcase to minimize new tangles developed overnight.
Do you have a favorite detangler to recommend for fine hair? I would love to hear about it and potentially test it out next. I’m always on the hunt for the next best thing.